Congratulations and God Bless You! This is a special time in your life as you prepare for Marriage!
Engaged Couples should contact the Rectory as soon as possible for an initial appointment, no less than six months before the wedding date. The priest will assist with all the necessary arrangements, including dates. Your meeting will be held at the Parish Rectory, 146 Rector Street, Philadelphia.
Please take a few minutes to visit the following website, and return often, as you prepare for Christian Marriage:
ANSWERS TO FAQ's:
- You do not have to be a registered parishioner to plan a wedding at St. John the Baptist.
- You must plan an initial wedding meeting with a parish priest no less than six months in advance.
- Wedding details and meetings are only scheduled with the couple; no other family members.
- Contact us via email for the initial meeting at
Include the following information and allow at least one week for a reply from the Priest:
- Both of your first & last names, phone numbers, and e-mail adresses;
- your approximate intended wedding date(s);
- If one or both of you are Catholic, or religious affiation; or none
- If one or both of you have ever been married; either civilly or in the Catholic Church;
- any important information you would like to share;
- a few available dates and times to meet within two to three weeks.
-After the initial meeting, there is a 30 day period in which we will hold your date. Please submit all necessary fees and documents within that 30 days. Any paperwork may be dropped off during office hours (in an envelope) or after hours in the mailslot, RE: Wedding of Bride/Groom and wedding date)
Once Your Date is Scheduled
- Schedule Pre-Cana Class if you have not already (only offered twice/year in Spring and Fall, at
nearby parishes - see PDF below)
- Send in / Drop off your deposit to confirm your date within 30 days to hold your date
- Submit the following items on dates needed:
(deposit/ form reserving date and rehearsal / couple photo;
Later: marriage license, Liturgy selections, any additional information).
- Contact the Music Director with your selections
- All details regarding photographers, florists, music, etc. in planning your ceremony
must be discussed with the priest.
Pre-Cana: Preparation for the Sacrament of Marriage (offered only in Spring and Fall) At Holy Family, 234 Hermitage Street (or another parish):
Couples must attend the Archdiocesan Sacramental Preparation class (Pre-Cana). It is a full-day class with other couples concluding with mass at day’s end.
The Parishes of Manayunk and East Falls will present the Pre-Cana Marriage Preparation Program for engaged couples in the Spring and Fall Onlyat Holy Family Parish Hall, 234 Hermitage Street. The day begins with registration at and concludes with attendance at the Vigil Mass. NEXT CLASS IS May 5, 2019 and the cost is $100.
Continental breakfast and lunch are provided. Certificates are distributed after Mass. Cost is $100.00 per couple. To register, please call Holy Family Rectory, 215-482-0450, on Tuesday, or between .
Visit the link below before attending Pre-Cana, and also if you would like to register in classes offered throughout the Philadelphia Area at varying times during the year. Most classes are only offered twice per year in the Fall, and Spring.
A downloadable list is below of other Parishes that offer Pre-Cana. Note well they are usually only offered twice per year, and classes fill quickly.
Marriage Blessing / Convalidation
For registered parish couples that are Civilly Married, we encourage you to contact the priest to setup an initial meeting. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit this link for more information on Convalidation:
On Your Wedding Day:
Please do not bring food and/or drinks into church.
Parking for the disabled may be used adjacent to the ramp at the church entrance, park in front of the school building in the designated spots. The break in the center of church is
There is a restroom in the church vestibule and our church is handicapped accessible. There is a break in center of church in the pews for the disabled and wheelchairs.
The Philadelphia Parking Authority is very efficient and tickets violators. Please be mindful of the No Parking Areas, Curb Cuts, and crosswalks. There is No Parking at any time along the Cresson Street Wall.
Off-street parking is available behind the Parish Rectory, spots are first come first serve. Please do not double park in the lot or in reserved spots, or block other cars.
Handicapped and elderly guests may park in the designated spots in front of the school building, adjacent to the entrance ramp to Church.
St. John the Baptist Church is located in the Manayunk Section of Philadelphia at
119 Rector Street, Philadelphia PA, 19127.
For Those Dating
Dating? 4 Steps to Keep In Mind:
10 Proven Steps From I Wish to I Do:
For Those Engaged / A Catholic Wedding
What Happens at a Catholic Wedding
In General: http://www.foryourmarriage.org/
Planning a Wedding In General
Three Forms for Celebrating a Catholic Marriage
Nuptial Scripture Readings
Convalidation / Marriage Blessing: Bringing your marriage into the Church
7 Signs of a Functional Relationship
For Those Married
Prayer and Family Life
Sexuality and Conjugal Love